Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Green IT and Parallel Programming

Green-IT is one (or the) buzzwords these days. Everybody wants this sticker on the box. I do Green-IT for many years. I switch off my computer and monitor + DSL-modem when I’m done. But this behavior should not be the topic of the post. Chip design might lead to an architecture where many cores run on a lower clock speed (than a single core processor does). This is not contradiction to Moore’s law by the way. For an application which is not designed and developed to exploit a multicore-architecture (either by process-based load balancing of multithreading), the result could be a decrease in performance. So this is my point and it is probably not far-fetched. Green-IT might be another trigger to force efforts to make applications ready for today’s hardware architecture.

No comments: