Saturday, January 10, 2009
Thursday, January 08, 2009
Talking about the New Year - What do I expect from the technical perspective? Here comes my wish-list which is a blend of my expectations and the trends I see in general for 2009.
- A better support for effective parallel programming, also with a more implicit approach
- New solutions to interact with smart devices (cell phones) to overcome tiny keyboards and cumbersome handling
- A synthesis of a Handheld-GPS and a simple mobile phone to reduce the number of devices in the outdoors (let’s call it a rugged GPS-Phone)
- Cool applications (and gadgets) making use of the so-called “cloud computing”
- GPS and RFID in much more tools and gadgets (cameras, mobile phones, bikes…) with the option to switch it off anytime
- Location Based Services (ez to use, respecting privacy, useful) with real benefits for the user
- NetBooks for all known OS platforms
- Home automation for mainstream households; many use cases are conceivable and could help saving energy, this would give the buzzword “Green IT” a very new meaning
- More awareness of security and privacy issues in a connected world which leads to new options to protect digital information, assets, and people’s privacy
- E-books based on gadgets and applications that create a new reading experience; don’t get me wrong, I will always stick to real books made of paper but I see E-books as a interesting alternative beyond the advantage to carry a lot of books wedged in a handy device when travelling
- A new album from my favorite band TOOL
- Anything to add? Feel free to comment.