Tuesday, April 15, 2008

UML and Domain Specific Languages

I joined an interesting conversation on the utilization of UML recently. The talk was about code generation out of UML (tools). Mmmh. Pro and cons will always exist when it comes to UML. I use UML for sketching and for my architecture and design documents. Use case, class, deployment and sequence diagrams are important tools to me. They create a better understanding in the team on the expected outcome based on a unified description - much better than proprietary pictures which often lead to different views in the minds of the team members. UML models do not cover non-functional requirements sufficiently. This is a real drawback when is comes to code generation. My hope is that Domain Specific Languages (DSL) will improve, gain more acceptance and will be extended to areas and domains where they appropriate.

No comments: